Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
Scope and Contents
The Maine State Archives (MSA) collects and holds the permanent historical records of the Maine State Government. MSA was created in 1965. By 1971, MSA housed the historical records that had been held by the Secretary of State, Legislature, Courts and Executive Departments. This included records from defunct agencies.
With the implementation of a records management system, groups of records were identified as having permanent historical value and were sent to the Archives after a designated period of time. These included Commissioner/Executive correspondence, meeting minutes from Boards and Commissions, as well as department-specific records.
- 1750 -
Biographical / Historical
The Department of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry was created in 2012 by combining the former Department of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Resources, Department of Conservation, and many functions of the State Planning Office.
The Department of Agriculture was formed in 1901 from the Board of Agriculture (1852). It was later combined with the Livestock Sanitary Commission (1911), and had its name changed to the Department of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Resources in 1980.
The Department of Conservation was formed in 1973. It combined the existing Parks and Recreation Department (1971) and the Forest Commission (1891). The Forest Commission had previously assumed the duties of the Land Agent (1824).
In addition to the Office of the Commissioner, the Department consists of four bureaus: Agriculture, Food and Rural Resources; Forestry; Parks and Lands; and Resource Information and Land Use Planning.
576.25 Linear Feet (1215 containers)
Language of Materials
State Agency Schedules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Maine State Archives Repository
84 State House Station
Augusta Maine 04333